April 15, 2015

Workout Wednesday: Building a morning routine



Over the past couple of months I have been working on building my new AM Routine, this routine is all about fitting in the necessary parts of my morning, (i.e. shower, vacuuming, unloading the dishwasher, and working out) but also incorporating a couple fitness goals.
The first thing I wanted to start incorporating was a quick 20 minute morning yoga routine, I wanted to  add this in right after I wake up and walk the dogs so that it sets the tone for the rest of my day. I knew if I tried to go full on 7 days a week it wouldn't stick, so instead I set a goal of doing it 2 times for 1 week, then the next week I set a goal for 3 times in a week, then the next week I set a goal for 4 times in 1 week, and it went like this for 6 weeks until I had finally built up to doing it 7 days a week. I learned in this process how much I loved doing the am yoga routine, but not just for the relaxation and the stretching, but also for the mental clarity I felt throughout the day. I have mentioned once or twice before that I suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Onychophgia, and  anxiety, because of this I have a constant sense of where I'm at mentally, and can honestly say my morning yoga routine has helped more than any therapy session ever attended, although as I wright this I feel that bit of anxiety starting to flare up so moving on to a different subject :)
When I first decided to start a morning yoga routine I instantly jumped online and started my search for the perfect yoga DVD, and then it hit me, I'm apart of the greatest online community ever invented...YouTube...and if you can find a cat playing the piano then surly I can find a good yoga routine...and I did! What I love most about this particular routine is the fact that its not noisy, as in the instructor isn't doing any unnecessary talking and there is a great balance and flow to the video.
I would highly recommend starting a little yoga routine of your own in the mornings as the benefits far out way the 20 minutes that you have to wake up earlier. Remember when starting your routine to start slow as constancy not speed is what matters most. I will post the yoga video that I do every morning here so you can all enjoy it as much as I do. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I would love to hear what you thought of today's post.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig