January 20, 2015

Tutorial Tuesday: Red Velvet Cupcakes


As you all know I am on a diet and I am intent on staying on track, but last Monday I started craving Red Velvet Cupcakes like nobodies business, but rather than giving in and having one right there on the spot, I decided this would be a good test of my will power, so I made myself wait until Saturday, after going to the gym all week and eating healthy, let me tell you after all that this was the best cupcake I ever had. 

For the cupcake you will need:

2 1/2 cups Flour
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Dutch-Processed Cocoa Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 Cups Olive Oil
2 Eggs Room Temperature
Red Food Coloring
1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Buttermilk
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
2 Teaspoons Distilled White Vinegar
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and line your muffin pan.
Whisk together Flour, Cocoa, and Salt.
With electric mixer whisk sugar and oil until combined, add eggs one at a time. Mix in the food coloring adding small amounts until you are happy with the color. Then add in the vanilla.
Add the flour mixture 1/3 at a time adding 1/3 of the buttermilk with it.
Mix the Baking Soda and Vinegar then add to the batter mixing for about 10-20 seconds.
Fill your muffin tins to about 3/4 of the way, then bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Place on a wire rack and cool completely.


For the frosting you will need:

2 Sticks Earth Balance Vegan Butter Room Temperature
12 Ounces Cream Cheese Room Temperature
4 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract

Using an electric mixer beat Butter and Cream Cheese until fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add in the Powdered Sugar, 1/2 a cup at a time, continue blending until all sugar has been added and the frosting is fluffy. 

I had Don try these and he loved them, which was pretty shocking because he doesn't like cupcakes, but after having mine I can say this was so good and worth the wait, they are fluffy and moist, and the frosting is so good. If you make these tag me in your pictures and use #KatieBeeBaking so I can see how yours came out. I will be uploading the video of this and adding it below but I currently don't have internet so I am using my phone to post this, but I will add the video as soon as the internet comes back on. 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I would love to hear what you thought of today's post.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig